We have all seen the sign opposite on Social Media encouraging us to shop local with a small business. Buying from a local shop or small business can really make all the difference…
Monkey Park is a not for profit organisation whose purpose is to improve the local community by bringing people together & supporting their efforts to change the area. We employ local people and buy our teas, coffees and other ingredients locally to make sure we are enhancing the local economy. We have created six part time jobs and plough all profits back into the business or into community projects.
The hub provides a number of services to the local community including:
- A space where people can meet, laugh and eat
- Regular Saturday and school holiday events for school aged children
- A space where people can work, talk and dream
- A bicycle workshop to provide affordable access to green transport options
- A space to discover what’s happening locally
- Affordable space to support local businesses showcase their products and grow their businesses
- A launchpad for us all to create a better Brampton…
Please support your local small business…
Buying a coffee from us does not line the pockets of an already wealthy CEO, but it has helped us create paths in the local park (we also do suspended coffee’s so someone in need can always get a free drink);
Buying a delicious slice of cake from us, will not buy the directors a second holiday home, but it has helped us replace a muddy unadopted walkway with a pushchair & wheelchair accessible footpath to the local school;
Buying lunch from us will not mean we can buy a new yacht, but it could help us build a Changing Places toilet, enabling many people with disabilities to get out and about and enjoy the day to day activities many of us take for granted; *
Buying a scone might not equate to a new sports car, but it helps us to deliver our programmes enabling people to break down their barriers & start a business or take up employment.
If you are stuck for ideas during the school holidays, why not bring your children along to one of many clubs & events and enjoy a tasty treat at the same time.
We have big plans in the pipeline for Brampton including:
- A planter scheme with Inspire Community Garden where our volunteers will build wooden planters from scratch. We will then trim back all the nettles & overgrown shrubs in the area & put lovely flower & vegetable planters in their place – opening the opportunity to local residents to learn new skills in woodwork and gardening; **
- The creation of “A Friends of Monkey Park” group to raise funds to replace the aging children’s play equipment in the park opposite us on Chester Street; ***
- Planting fruit trees to replace the dead poplar trees on Chester Street;
- Benches in the park so people can relax and appreciate our local area.
Next time you fancy a coffee, cake or lunch, please consider supporting a small business or social enterprise like Monkey Park – you are not just getting a drink or a bite to eat, you are helping build a better community. We love our area and like to get involved in as many local projects as we can, but we need your help to continue this work. Please support local businesses who support the areas in which you live, work & play.
Thanks for reading!
* Simon Redding, one of my fellow directors at Monkey Park is doing the Couch to Half Marathon in 5 months to raise funds for a Changing Places Toilet. To support, please click on the link below:
** The planter building takes place on 18-19 August 10am-2pm at Inspire Community Garden – if you have a few hours to spare, like working with wood or just want to improve your local area, please email me your details.
***If you would like to get involved in this or any future projects, please get in touch with me or call into the café.
NOTES TO EDITORS
Monkey Park is at 128A Chester Street, Brampton, Chesterfield, S40 1DN
Bikes for sale: